Monday, September 3, 2007

Starting This Blog

I called my local office of the Department of Labor the other day. I wanted the number to my state capital's Department of Labor's office so I could get a copy of the FMLA Federal Regulations. BTW, they will send you a free copy, just for the asking.
Anyway, I was talking to the agent there and he asked me where I worked. I told him, "The Post Office". He then told me that he gets more calls and complaints from Postal employees than from any other business. He then tells me that if I needed anything solved, then I'd have to see my steward. I told him that I am a steward and that is why I needed a hard copy of the FMLA Regulations.
The Agents of the Department of Labor can, but won't investigate the Postal Service for violations of the FMLA Act. The problem is that these are U.S. Government agencies we are dealing with. If the Department of Labor recommends that the USPS be cited for violations in the law, then they turn the case over to the Justice Department for prosecution. When the Postal Service finds out they are being taken to court, they call the Justice Department to represent them. So the Justice Department ends up fighting against itself and they won't do that.
So who can you turn to fight the USPS when it comes to FMLA violations, ME! Your friendly, co-working, Union Steward. On this site I'm going to try to share some of the things I've learned about FMLA from fighting management for the past 9 years as a Union Steward. I hope it helps.

3 comments:

fubard said...

How can I contacty you? My husband works for the P.O. and the Union is there for management more than it's members.
I would really like you have your opinion about our FMLA problems.
Fubard

T said...

If dol won't do anything and the grievance procedure could take months or maybe even years,what I am I to do?? I am a postal employee with a life long chronic cond as stated by my local fmla office 2nd opinion doctor. (Detriot Dist)But yet my lovely p.o. keeps putting me on the deems list,which in turn cost me more money due to copays,gas and time.Even though my fmla case allows me up to 3 days per month.Finally with my latest flare up I said enough is enough and refused to get supporting documentation.Of course my 3971 was denied.And I won't be getting paid.I have a great stewart at our main office, not onsite,but he can only do so much.Anything you can suggest to help would be most appreciated.I feel like I am being bullied when I'm at my most vunerable.

Fuzzball said...

I am eligible to take up to 3 days of FMLA per month. I recently took 3 non consecutive days off and my supervisor wants documentation for only one of them. Can he require this? If so, what is the purpose of even having FMLA?